3 tablespoons unrefined corn oil plus more for greasing the tin
1 1⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tablespoons organic raw cane sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 large ripe banana
1 cup unflavored rice milk
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
3⁄4 cup Double Maple-Coated Pecans, chopped
• Set a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 425°F.
• Grease a mini-muffin tin with corn oil and set aside.
• In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
• In an upright blender, combine the banana, rice milk, maple syrup, and the remaining corn oil, and blend until creamy.
• Transfer the muffin tin to the oven to preheat for 5 minutes, until sizzling.
• In the last minute of the muffin tin preheating, combine the wet mixture with the dry mixture by mixing with a spoon just until blended, being careful not to overmix. Fold in the nuts.
• Remove the tin from the oven and spoon the batter into the muffin slots until they are three-quarters full. Return to the oven and bake on the center rack for 13 to 15 minutes, until the tops are golden.
• Serve immediately.