3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
3⁄4 cup tamari
1⁄4 cup canned tomato sauce
1 large chipotle chile in adobo sauce
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄4 cup agave nectar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
2 tablespoons water
1 pound tempeh (2 8-ounce packages), cut into 1 ⁄ 2 inch fingers
5 4 x 4-inch pieces of focaccia
41 ⁄ 2 cups Carrot-Cayenne Coleslaw
• In a blender, combine the apple cider vinegar, lime juice, tamari, tomato sauce, chile, olive oil, agave nectar, cumin, cayenne, and water to create a marinade. Puree until well combined. Set aside.
• Preheat grill.
• In a large baking dish, place the tempeh fingers in one snug layer. Pour the marinade on them and tightly cover the dish with foil. Transfer to the grill, close, and bake for 50 minutes, turning the tempeh once halfway through.
• Remove the baking dish from the grill. With a slotted spoon, transfer the tempeh fingers back to the grill and cook until sizzling and slightly charred, about 1 minute per side.
• While the tempeh is grilling, put the focaccia on the grill and cook until warm and slightly charred, about 2 minutes per side.
• Construct the sandwiches by adding 3 to 4 tempeh fingers to each square of focaccia and topping with coleslaw.